Organising Committee9th European Beer and Health Symposium
Prof. Ascension Marcos
Prof. Marcos got her PhD at the School of Pharmacy at the Complutense University in Madrid, Spain (UCM) in 1982 and Master in Clinical Analysis by UCM in 1986 and got a grant at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) and she was the Head of the Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology at the Mixed Center CSIC-UCM (1998-2002). She is the leader of the Immunonutrition Research Group at the Department of Metabolism and Nutrition at CSIC since 1987.
Prof. Marcos achieved the highest category at CSIC as a Research Professor in 2006 and her scientific consolidation has been recognized for 5 six-year terms since 1985.
She is a pioneer in the field of Immunonutrition in Spain, Founder and President of the International Forum of Immunonutrition for Education and Research (i-FINER) since 2007.
Positions performed by Prof. Marcos in Nutrition Societies:
- Spanish Nutrition Society (SEÑ): Treasurer (2010-2017), Vice-president (2007-2010), President (2003-2007), Vice-president (2001-2003), Member of the Board (1999-2003), Secretary (1997-1999);
- Federation of European Nutrition Societies (FENS): Past-President (2015-2019), President (2011-2015), Treasurer (2007-2011);
- Federation of Spanish Societies of Nutrition, Food and Dietetics (FESNAD): President (2015-2020), Member of the Board (2003-2005);
- Spanish Society of Probiotics and Prebiotics (SEPyP): Vice-president (2009-2017),
- International Society for Immunonutrition (ISIN): President (2014-2020).
Due to her expertise in the field of Nutrition, she was a member of the Scientific Committee of the Spanish Agency for Consumption, Food Security and Nutrition (AECOSAN) (2013-2014), Vicepresident (2015-2016) and currently she is Scientific Advisor of the Spanish Agency for Food Security and Nutrition (AESAN) (2018-).
Her research has been focused on different aspects of Immunonutrition: 1) immunomodulation properties of nutrients, bioactive compounds and functional foods, 2) evaluation of the nutritional status of healthy groups of populations (especially adolescents, pregnant women, infants, children and elderly) and patients suffering from nutrition-immunity related diseases (eating disorders, overweight, obesity, celiac disease, intolerances, drug-addicts).
She has participated in 83 research projects (66 as a leader), a total of 510 papers: 252 SCI original articles, 29 SCI reviews, 13 supplement SCI journal editions, 86 non-SCI original articles and 7 non-SCI reviews, 108 chapters, 8 books and 8 book editions.
Since 1999 Prof. Marcos has been coordinating several multi-centre Spanish projects related to adolescent nutrition, eating disorders and obesity, funded by the Foundation for Health Research (FIS), Institute of Health Carlos III, Ministry of Health and Consumption as well as the Ministry of Education and Science or the Ministry of Science and Innovation.
The main awards and honours received by Prof. Marcos are as follows:
- The International Prize for her “Contribution to the study on nutrition and immunology” given by the Nutritional Immunology International Group in 1997.
- Since 2004 Prof. Marcos is Guest Lecturer ad-honorem at the Buenos Aires University (Chair of Nutrition. Department of Health, Nutrition, Food Technology and Toxicology. Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry).
- Award of the NAOS Strategy from the Spanish Agency of Food Safety and Nutrition (AECOSAN) to the EVASYON study (General Coordinator: A. Marcos) as the best project of applied research in 2009.
- Honorary Member of the Royal Academy of Pharmacy from Cataluña November- 2011
- Fellow of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences (IUNS) September-2013.
- Danone Institute Award Dr. Carles Martí Hennenberg for her Scientific Biography. December-2014.
- Honorary Member of the National Royal Academy of Pharmacy. January-2015.
- Award of the World Food Day. University of Navarra. October-2016.
- Recognition of the Madrid Convention Bureau. July-2017.
- Medal of the Spanish General Council of Oficial Colleges of Pharmacists. December-2018.